Friday, December 17, 2010

Interested in American History recently

Recently, I am interested in American history. I love to discover interesting stories happened in human history.

During the summer, I was listening the VOA Special English. They have different topics for each day in a week. I always managed to listen the episodes on American history. It was so interesting to learn that there was a war between America and Spain in 1800s.

Recently, I found a great book about American history, "Introduction to the United States" by Jeff McQuillan and Lucy Tse. Actually, it's a course provided by ESL Podcast.  According to its webpage (http://www.eslpod.com/eslpod_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=431) -- " Introduction to the United States is a course that answers your questions about the United States in a new and exciting way. This course uses the 100 questions from U.S. naturalization test, the test that people take to become a citizen of the United States. It focuses on how the U.S. was formed and how it works, who the important people are in its history and in the current government, and the different parts of this very big and diverse country"

By listening to the audio of this book, I learned a lot of interesting things, such as how US government operates, how America was founded, how US expanded its territory from the original 13 states to 50 states now (such as Louisiana Territory Purchase), how African American/women fought for their rights during Civil Rights Movement/Women's Rights Movement, and so on. Dr. Jeff McQuillan's and Dr. Lucy Tse's explanations are great! They both did a great job, but I prefer Jeff's voice.

After I started to listen to this course, I was so eager to keep listening that I finished all 100 lessons in two months. I think I will go back to listen them again. This time I will focus on learning English as well as enjoying the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment